http://fourcornersphiladelphia.com/files/gimgs/th-56_26.jpg
 

Quijarros Pebbles
Langhorne Carpet, 2011
100% Alpaca Face Yarns
7' W x 12' H

Before founding Langhorne Carpet Co. in 1930, fourth-generation owner Bill Langhorne’s grandfather and great-grandfather made drum-print velvets for Hirst and Roger Carpets at the corner of “K and A” Kensington and Allegheny in Philadelphia. They were already thinking of starting their own business when they learned Henry Ford had looms in Detroit he wanted to get rid of. Ford’s method of vertical manufacturing meant his factories were also responsible for weaving carpets for his cars. Langhorne moved into its current Bucks County factory after World War II. It was the first in the area with a roof supported by trusses instead of columns. The wide-open space was a prerequisite for those gigantic looms.

Langhorne’s carpets line the floors of the Oval Office among other hallowed spaces. It is one of two remaining Jacquard woven Wilton mills in the country. Quijarros, Langhorne’s “cashmere of carpets,” features 84 knots per inch a total of 84,692 loops or stitches, which translates to approximately 40 ounces of alpaca yarn per square yard. This is produced from roughly 23 pounds of fleece — necessitating more than two large adult male alpacas and hours and hours of highly skilled handiwork. CT